Aim: To provide comprehensive support to the Principal. This is a maternity cover position expected to last from August 2017 to July 2018.
In addition to all the usual secretarial skills the person appointed must have a good working knowledge of typical office software, be able to work proactively, have excellent interpersonal skills, a high level spoken and written English and Japanese to least at conversational level are essential.
Main areas of the post:
- To act as the first point of contact for the Principal, screening and prioritising enquiries whilst using tact, discretion and diplomacy.
- To liaise with the Trustees, staff, parents and students as well as external contacts.
- To support all departments in the school as and when required, and to delegate tasks to the appropriate people/departments on behalf of the Principal.
- To manage the Principal’s day-to-day activity to ensure the effective use of his time, as well as proactively planning and scheduling future events and activities based on the school cycle e.g. board meetings, leadership meetings, annual internal and external commitments and events.
- To maintain a strong sense of what is happening in the Primary school, Secondary school and wider school community.
- To filter and prioritise the Principal's email, telephone and postal correspondence, ensuring that responses go out on time.
- To produce letters, memos, agendas and other documents prepared by the Principal or other staff as directed by the Principal.
- To research and compile information and to produce reports based on that information.
- To initiate investigations into complaints received by the Principal.
- To arrange meetings, compile agendas (with direction from the attendees), take minutes and to ensure that the issues discussed are dealt with within an agreed timescale.
- To make arrangements for visits and meetings, domestic and overseas travel, as required.
- To assist the Principal with recruitment, liaising with potential candidates and organising interviews.
- Utilising good knowledge of Tokyo and Japan in order to assist the Principal, staff and visitors with a range of concierge-style services.
- To file documents using a suitable system and to manage a bring-forward system
- To ensure that copying, scanning and other requests are dealt with in a timely manner.
- To ensure office supplies are maintained
Ability to manage tasks speedily and simultaneously
High oral and written communication skills in English
Experience of using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook)
Minimum 1 year working experiences
Previous experience in an academic environment would be preferred
- Language requirement
- English (Native), Japanese (Conversation)
- Visa requirement